AMA Advocacy Track Record
Legislative Victories 2011 - 2018
Abandoned pets and property, 2018
- Successfully enacted legislation to provide guidance on how to handle abandoned pets and property in rental units and to reduce the holding period of abandoned property from 21 to 14 days.
- Protected Arizona’s premier development incentive known as the Government Property Lease Excise Tax.
Apartment finder fee, 2017
Mandatory court forms, 2017
Rent Control, 2017
Energy Benchmarking, 2016
MANDATORY RECYCLING, 2016
solid waste services, 2015
- Successfully enacted legislation to allow multi-family operators to select a private enterprise solid waste or recycling service provider in all Arizona cities and towns by July 1, 2016.
Inclusionary zoning, 2015
- Successfully enacted legislation to prohibit municipalities from adopting inclusionary zoning ordinances and/ or in-lieu fees.
Pool gates, 2014
- Successfully enacted legislation to grandfather all existing pool area gate locking mechanisms.
Real estate advisory board, 2014
- Successfully enacted legislation to require the Arizona Department of Real Estate Advisory Board to include a multi-family property manager as a member on the Board.
rent tax, 2011
- Successfully enacted legislation to require voter approval for any rental tax rate increase.
- Successfully enacted legislation to outline landlord and tenant responsibilities and prohibit municipalities from enacting local regulations related to bedbugs in order to provide a uniform statewide standard.
Private property rights, 2011
- Defeated a legislative proposal that would have allowed residents or guests to bring firearms into leasing offices, pool areas, gymnasiums or other apartment common areas.
Development impact fees, 2011
- Successfully partnered with key development stakeholders to enact a comprehensive reform of the development impact fee statutes.