Member Guidance & Policy Statements
2021 Public Policy Agenda
The Mission of the Arizona Multihousing Association (AMA) is to represent, advocate and educate Arizona's rental housing community. The AMA is committed to supporting policies that advance our Mission, enhance the regulatory environment for the apartment industry and provide quality and affordable housing opportunities for the state.
1. PROTECT AND PRESERVE THE ARIZONA LANDLORD AND TENANT ACT
- Preserve the statewide prohibition on rent control.
- Oppose any efforts to upend the balance of the Act.
- Oppose any efforts that would lengthen the eviction process or create unnecessary or costly regulation to the process.
2. PROTECT AND PRESERVE PRIVATE PROPERTY AND CONTRACT RIGHTS
- Oppose any efforts to create statewide eviction moratoriums.
- Oppose any efforts to diminish private property rights in the state.
- Support efforts to limit the executive branch’s emergency powers.
3. SUPPORT SHORT AND LONG-TERM SOLUTIONS FOR RENTAL ASSISTANCE
- Support efforts to streamline and consolidate rental assistance programs.
- Support funding solutions for rental assistance programs.
4. PROTECT EXISTING ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
- Oppose efforts to eliminate or diminish the value of the Government Property Lease Excise Tax (GPLET) program or current Tax Increment Financing Districts.
- Support the implementation of new economic development tools to encourage new investment in the urban core or areas of slum and blight.
5. SUPPORT LONG-TERM SOLUTIONS TO INCREASE THE PRODUCTION OF AFFORDABLE HOUSING
- Support efforts to create a statewide Arizona First Affordable Housing Tax Credit program and other programs to incentivize the production of Affordable Housing.
- Reduce government-imposed cost burdens including local land use restrictions, design guidelines and discretionary review processes to encourage private investment in affordable housing.
- Support the restoration of the Arizona Housing Trust Fund to pre-recession levels.
6. OPPOSE ANY NEW TAXES, FEES OR EXCESSIVE REGULATION ON THE APARTMENT INDUSTRY
- Oppose measures that shift the property tax burden to apartment owners.
- Oppose any new regulation that would unnecessarily increase the cost to develop or manage apartments in the state Arizona.
7. LONG-TERM STRATEGIES AND GOALS
Support efforts to reform Arizona’s complicated sales tax structure:
- Support the transition of the state’s prime contracting tax system to a system that taxes construction materials at the point of sale.
- Support the repeal of speculative builders’ tax.
- Support any efforts to streamline the administration the state’s taxes system.
Advance the interests of the apartment industry:
- Support development impact fee reform to ensure that growth only pays its proportionate share of new infrastructure.
- Support policies that limit patchwork regulation at the municipal level of government.